Monday 3 October 2011

"You've just let yourself go, haven't you?" - exploring local textures



























Lately I'm feeling very much that I'm missing so much that is right under my nose and that it's high time I attended to it!   






Here what attracts me is partly the whitewash intention/ eventual, inevitable failure; 
the flaky brick and greenish mortar looking more cavelike than modern.


Also the interplay of human with other aspects of nature.  It seems so inherently poetic.












































































































There are some great Flickr groups on this topic, the "Best Textures" one, for example.  
I enjoyed searching with terms like "peeling", "flaky", "blistered" , "abraded" "rusty" and even "mouldy"!  Not forgetting "palimpsest". 

Other flickr groups celebrating weathered and time-affected materials include "The Rust Bucket" "Wonders of Oxidation"and, especially exciting to me, "Old, Abandoned Houses", and "Rural Decay".

No comments:

Post a Comment